If you’ve read any of my articles you know I have been writing against Genetically Modified (GM) foods and seeds for the past 2 years. Monsanto’s successful efforts to defeat labeling of GMOs in our foods has brought about an uprising of consumers who are taking control of their own health through awareness of the foods they eat.
As mentioned in my Proposition 37’s defeat article, more than 50 countries require labeling of GMOs yet the US is does not require GM ingredients to be shown on food labels. Monsanto, the company that manufactured Agent Orange during the Vietnam War, developed Round-Up tolerant GM corn which has been linked to tumors in a 2-year study completed by scientists at the University of Caen, Institute of Biology, in France. In the study, as published in the Food Chemical Toxicology, scientists found severe effects of GM corn even when the pesticide Round-Up was used resulting in large tumors.
The 2-year study used rats to determine health effects of eating GM corn. In both males and females, the death rate was two to three times higher in those who ate the GM corn. You can read more of the side effects in Michelle Schoffro Cook’s article in Care2 Healthy Living for an easier-to-understand version by clicking here.
What can you do to help keep your children and families healthier?
- You can choose to buy organic when buying the unsafe produce. Click here to find Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) list of the “Dirty Dozen Foods”.
- You can sign the “Just Label It” petition by clicking here or the icon on my sidebar.
- You can click here to learn about 8 things you can do as an individual.
- You can stop buying and using corn syrup; products made with fructose; stay away from aspartame; and avoid corn, canola and soy products.
- You can stop using Round-Up as a pesticide which contaminates our water supply.
- You can boycott any Monsanto products and 19 other companies that are against labeling GM ingredients in our food!